I made these cupcakes for my housewarming party to celebrate my first big girl apartment – first lease I signed by myself, no roommates or cosigners. I had a craving for Strawberry Shortcakes, but wanted to cut down on the dishes so decided to develop a strawberry shortcake cupcake. It’s one of those things that just fell together as different ideas formed in my head. Forgive the inexact measurements – I really did create this on the fly and didn’t write anything down. I’m hoping to standardize my frosting recipe in the near future, and will repost when that gets perfect! As always, they’re gluten-free and vegan, but you wouldn’t know it!
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free flour, (spooned and leveled), plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup earth balance butter, cold cut into small pieces
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1.25 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon xantham gum
- splash of almond extract
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor, combine flour, butter, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, xantham gum, and salt; process until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk and almond extract; pulse just until moistened, 4 or 5 times. Do not overprocess.
Scoop 1/3 cup dough into lined cupcake pan. Sprinkle with sugar.
Bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes; cool in pan.
- 1 large container strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar (approx, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (approx, to taste)
Toss prepared strawberries with sugar and balsamic vinegar. It’s best to do this several hours in advance of serving to allow fruit to macerate.
- 2 cans coconut milk, chilled for 4+ hours
- 1 package silken tofu
- splash of apple cider vinegar (to taste)
- splash of lemon juice (to taste)
- splash of vanilla extract (to taste)
- powdered sugar (to desired sweetness, approx 1 cup)
- cornstarch or arrowroot to desired thickness
Open chilled cans of coconut milk. The cream should have risen to the top and become firm. Remove cream and add to a large mixing bowl (reserve milk for other uses). Add tofu, and mix with a handheld mixer until well combined. Add sugar in 1/2 to 1/4 cup intervals until desired sweetness. Add vanilla and lemon juice to taste. Whip on high with handheld mixer until combined. Add cornstarch or arrowroot powder until desired stiffness. Chill until ready to serve.
Chocolate Balsamic Glaze
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (vegan dark or bittersweet)
Heat balsamic vinegar in a saucepan on medium heat until it reaches a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer until it is reduced to a thick syrup. Add chocolate chips and stir until completely melted and combined.
Cut tops off of shortcakes, reserve. Cut a small well into the cupcake, about the size of a tablespoon (enjoy the scraps!). Spoon strawberry mixture into divits, top with frosting. Put top back on cupcakes. Add additional frosting and swirl on chocolate balsamic glaze.
For a printer-friendly version, click here.